Lasaña de Calabacitas
Prep Time 45 mins
Cook Time 30
- 4–5 medium zucchinis, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ white onion, diced
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 2 TBS parmesan cheese, grated + extra for topping
- 1 Egg
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 TBS fresh Basil Leaves, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- For the zucchini. Slice the zucchini lengthwise, into thin layers, using a knife or a mandoline slicer. Arrange them onto the prepared baking sheet and brush lightly with olive oil on one side. Pre-bake for about 10 mins, turning them once halfway through cooking. The zucchini slices must be softened but not too greasy – pat-dry with paper towel to remove the excess of oil if needed. Set aside.
- For the tomato sauce. Heat up one Tablespoon olive oil in a skillet placed over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until soft and translucent. Pour in the tomato sauce and adjust seasoning to your liking if needed.
- For the ricotta filling. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese with parmesan, egg, minced garlic, and about 3 Tablespoons chopped basil leaves. Season with salt and pepper.
- For assembling the lasagna. Grease a large 13×9″ baking dish (33×23 cm) with olive oil. Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce at the bottom of the dish, then layer the zucchini sliced, add spoonfuls of the ricotta mixture, sprinkle grated mozzarella, pour some tomato sauce, and repeat each step until finished. On top, layer with tomato sauce, grated mozzarella and the extra grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, and broil on high for a few extra minutes, monitoring the oven closely to ensure the top is browned but not burned. Sprinkle with additional fresh basil leaves, and enjoy!