Chilean Beef Empanadas
Chilean Empanadas de Pino are flavorful beef empanadas filled with unexpected ingredients like raisins, olives, and hard-boiled eggs. These make a great meal on the go!
Serves 12 empanadas
Prep Time 1 hour 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
- FOR THE EMPANADA FILLING
- 1 1/2 tsp Oil
- 2 Onions (minced)
- 1 lb Ground Beef (85/15 Lean)
- 1 tbs Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup Raisins
- 1 tbs Unleached All-Purpose Flour
- FOR THE EMPANADA DOUGH
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Shortening or Unsalted Butter
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 5 cups Unleached All-Purpose Flour
- PUTTING THE EMPANADAS TOGETHER
- 24 Black Olives
- 3 Hard Boiled Eggs (quartered)
- 1 Egg Yolk (beaten with 1 tbs milk (for egg wash)
- FOR THE FILLING
- Heat oil in a large saute pan. Add the onions and saute over medium heat until softened, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the meat, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper. Cook until the meat is cooked through, 5-7 min.
- Add the raisins and flour. Cook until thickened slightly and saucy, not soupy, 1-2 min.
- Taste your filling and adjust the salt and chili powder as desired.
- Let cool slightly before filling the empanadas or prepare the filling ahead of time.
- FOR THE DOUGH
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until warm. Add the salt and shortening to the milk. Let the mixture cool slightly and add the eggs. Mix until combined.
- Place 4 cups of flour into a large bowl. Mix this warm milk mixture into the flour. Add the remaining 1 cup of flour as needed until a soft dough forms.
- Knead the dough with your hands until it is soft and easy to handle, 2--3 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a long snake and divide in into 12, evenly sized sections (golf ball size). Roll each section into a ball.
- MAKING THE EMPANADAS
- Roll each ball into a circle ⅛ inch thick (6 inches diameter). Place 1/3 cup of filling in the upper half of each round. Place 2 olives into the filling and add ¼ of a hard-boiled egg. Moisten the edge of the pastry with a little water and fold the dough over the filling, pressing the edge firmly, then twisting or crimping to seal.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet and brush with egg wash.
- Bake in preheated 350F for 30-35 until golden. Serve hot.