Cuban Ropa Vieja
Learn how to make an authentic Cuban classic… Ropa Vieja! This slow-cooked shredded beef dish is made with tenderized flank steak, onions, peppers, olives, tomato sauce, and spices like cumin and oregano.
Prep Time 2 hrs
Cook Time 35 mins
- 2 lbs Flank Steak
- Water (enough to cover the meat in the pot)
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 4 oz Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 cup Dry Cooking Wine
- 3 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 cup Green Pitted Olives, sliced
- In a Dutch oven, add the meat with water and salt. Cook at medium-low until the meat is tender, about 2 hours. Transfer to a plate. Shred meat and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil at medium heat. Add red pepper, onion, and olives. Sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add dry cooking wine, tomato sauce, ground cumin, oregano, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the shredded meat to the skillet and stir to combine with the sauce. Cover and cook on low for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, without letting it dry out. Remove bay leaf and serve over white rice.
- Bonus - add sweet plantains as a side!