Pepian Chicken Stew
A delicious and traditional recipe, “Pepian de pollo” is made using many ingredients including pumpkin seeds and Guaque pepper. You can top them with savory ingredients and munch away! For this recipe, we recommend a chicken protein.
Prep Time 20
Cook Time 40
- 1 Chicken
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 4 oz Sesame Seeds
- 4 oz Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 Guajillo Pepper
- 2 Pasilla/Poblano Peppers
- 1 cold Tortilla
- 1 lb of Tomatoes, diced
- 3 Tomatillos
- 2 Red Bell Peppers
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 Cilantro Bunch
- 3 Carrots, diced
- 1 Chayote Squash
- 3 Potatoes, diced
- 1/2 lb of Fresh Green Beans, cut in 1" strips
- Place the cinnamon stick, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, guajillo pepper, pasilla peppers, and the tortilla in a pan and grill them together. Let them cool down before blending.
- Blend all the ingredients that were grilled in step one with a glass of water. Then, put them through a strainer. If you use a mill, you do not need to add any water.
- Roast the tomatoes, tomatillos, bell pepper, garlic, and onion in another pan. After letting them cool down, blend them, adding only a hint of cilantro. Put them through the strainer.
- Cut the chicken into desired portions. Cook the chicken in approximately 3 liters of water and salt to taste. When the chicken is fully cooked, remove it from the water, setting it aside.
- Blend the two sauces previously made. Once blended, pour the sauce into a pan, and let simmer for approx. 15 minutes. Continue cooking over low-medium heat until all the vegetables (your choice) are tender ***If the sauce feels a little thick, you could use the boiled water from the chicken to thin it out a little.***
- Serve your Pepián in a bowl as a stand-alone meal or with white rice and corn tortillas on the side.
Receive our Weekly Deals & Promotions
Sign up for our unique recipes, weekly deals and promotions.