Beef Stew (Caldo de Res)
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 3 hours
- 2.5 LBS Beef Shank
- 2 Corn on the Cob
- 2 Large Potatoes
- 3 Carrots
- 1/2 Cabbage
- 4 Mexican Calabacitas (Squash)
- 1 TBS Tomatoe Paste
- 7 OZ Green Beans
- 1 Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Small Cilantro Bunch
- Salt to Taste
- Wash the meat very well and let it soak for half an hour in water.
- Discard the soaking water and place the meat in a large pot well covered with water for about 2 inches (5 cm). Add a tablespoon of salt, garlic, and onion.
- Bring to a boil and cook over high heat. With a spoon discard the foam that will form during the first half-hour.
- Set the heat to medium-low, cover the pot and cook for about an hour and a half.
- While the meat is cooking, prepare the vegetables. Wash them, peel them, and cut them into chunks.
- When the meat will be very soft and tender, add the vegetables.
- Continue cooking for another 20-25 minutes or long enough for the vegetables to cook perfectly.
- Adjust salt to taste and make sure there is enough liquid to cover the ingredients. Turn off the heat and serve.