Shrimp Patties with Nopales in Red Sauce
Savor the flavors of Lenten Season with this Cuaresma Favorite “Tortitas de Camaron con Nopales”
- 1 Cup Shrimp Powder
- 3 Eggs
- 6 Guajillo Peppers, seedless and boiled
- 2 Canned Chipotle Peppers, with seeds removed
- 4 Tomatoes
- 1 LB of Diced Cactus, previously boiled with onions and cilantro
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1/4 Cup of Onion, diced
- Cooking Oil
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- In a bowl, separate the egg whites from the yolks. Beat the egg whites to the point that they become fluffy, and then, start incorporating the yolks little by little. Gradually add the ground shrimp and mix gently with a spatula, keeping the consistency of the frothy egg.
- In a hot frying pan over medium heat, add some oil and with the help of a spoon, add a small portion of the shrimp mixture, scooping it in to form the shape of a thick patty. After a couple minutes, flip and fry the other side. When it's crisp, remove it and place the patty on an absorbent paper towel to remove the excess fat. Repeat the process and set each patty aside.
- In a pot over medium heat, boil the tomatoes, onion and garlic. Drain and place them in a blender. Add the Guajillo and Chipotle Peppers to the blender and blend.
- In a shallow saucepan on medium heat, add a spoonful of oil and add the blended sauce, season with salt and pepper, and boil for 5 minutes. Add the cactus and shrimp patties, cover the pot, and simmer for 5 minutes. Sample the sauce and add salt if needed.
- Serve with whole beans, refried beans, or your preferred rice on the side.
Free Lenten Season Recipe Book
Lenten Season Recipe Book Cook with us this season! Get your copy of our Lent Recipe Book in-store now through April 17th, 2022 – while supplies last, or click to view our digital version below.