Ten Bean Soup
Cardenas Markets now has mixed beans in the Produce Department, perfect for 10 Bean Soup! Look for a colorful 10 bean blend in-store and enjoy this hearty Lenten Recipe.
Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 2 hrs
Inactive Time 8 hrs (presoaking beans overnight)
- 1 LB of Dry Mixed Beans
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3 Celery Stalks, chopped
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- OPTIONAL: 6 Bacon Slices
- OPTIONAL: 1 cup Chopped Ham
- Soak the blend of beans in a bowl overnight.
- If adding meat, slightly sauté the ham and/or bacon along with the chopped onions, garlic and celery. If going meatless, sauté the veggies and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, place beans and add water to fully submerge beans (about 8 cups). Add sautéed onions, garlic and celery. Bring water to a boil, then lower to medium heat. Cook for 2 hours.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- TIP - Make it Cajun! Before boiling, add (2) Andouille Sausage (chopped & pre-sautéed). Add the following spices, 1/2 a teaspoon of each: dried thyme, dried oregano, paprika, cayenne pepper and garlic powder.