Chicken Pozole Verde
Chicken Pozole Verde is a delicious Mexican stew made primarily with tomatillos, green chilies, chicken and hominy, topped with all the traditional pozole fixings.
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 2 hrs
- (3) 15 oz cans of Hominy
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 7 cups Chicken Stock
- 2 cups Water
- 1 lb Tomatillos
- 1 Onion
- 2 Poblano Peppers, seeded
- 2 Jalapeño Peppers, seeded
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 Cilantro Bunch, chops
- 1 TBS Oregano
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 TBS Vegetable Oil
- Garnish with: finely shredded Iceberg Lettuce or Cabbage, sliced radishes, chopped Onions, Avocado, Lime and Hot Sauce
- In a large pot, bring the chicken stock and water to a boil.
- Add the chicken breasts and simmer until tender and fully cooked. This should take about 25 minutes.
- Once the chicken breast is thoroughly boiled, set aside to cool. Once you're able to handle, shred the meat and remove any skin or bones.
- Remove any fat from the chicken stock and set aside.
- In a blender, combine tomatillos, the onion, poblanos and jalapeños, garlic, chopped cilantro, and oregano. Pulse until coarse consistency and scrape the sides of the blender continually.
- While the blender is on, add 1 cup of the chicken stock and puree until smooth. Season this puree with salt and pepper.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the tomatillo puree and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 12 minutes.
- Pour the green sauce into the cooking liquid in the post. Add the hominy and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add the shredded chicken to the stew, season with salt and pepper and continue to heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve the pozole in deep bowls and have everyone top their pozole to their liking with lettuce or cabbage, sliced radishes, fresh chopped onions, avocado, lime, chile sauce. Set some chips on the side as well.
Receive our Weekly Deals & Promotions
Sign up for our unique recipes, weekly deals and promotions.