Nopalitos Cactus Salad
An authentic Mexican cactus stalk salad or “ensalada de nopales,” as it’s commonly called in Mexico. Nopales are a staple in the Mexican cuisine and frequently used in salsas, salads or stews.
Prep Time 10 Minutes
Cook Time 20 Minutes
- 4 medium cactus stalks
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 an onion (preferably red or white), finely chopped
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- Juice from 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco, or queso cotija
- Clean the cactus stalks of spines and wash them very well.
- Slice the nopales thin and put them in a pot with water to cover them. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cook the leaves on medium high heat until tender, for about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the onions, tomatoes and cilantro. Set them aside.
- When nopales are cooked, remove them from the stove, drain the water. When cool, use them for the salad.
- In a salad bowl, place the cactus leaves, onion, tomatoes, cilantro and dried Mexican oregano.
- Squeeze the juice of the lime over the salad. Add oil. Taste for salt and pepper and mix everything together.
- Sprinkle crumbled cheese over and serve.
Latest Recipes & Tips
Receive our Weekly Deals & Promotions
Sign up for our unique recipes, weekly deals and promotions.