Mexican Ham Sandwich
The most iconic sandwich in Mexico is the Torta de Jamón. While there’s many ways to make it, we like it “Del Chavo” style, made famous by Mexican television sitcom star “El Chavo del Ocho.” Here’s how to make a “Torta del Chavo!”
Prep Time 15 mins
- 4 Bolillo or Telera Rolls
- 1 LB of Deli Ham, sliced
- 1 Avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 4 TBS Mayonnaise
- 1 Cup Iceberg Lettuce, finely chopped
- 1 Roma Tomato, sliced
- 1/2 LB Queso Fresco, thick slices
- 1/2 Cup Warm Refried Beans
- 4 TBS Mexican Crema
- 4 Jalapeños, pickled and sliced
- 2 slices of white onion
- Slice your bolillo or telera rolls in half (lengthwise) and spread 1/2 tablespoon of mayo on each side. Place the rolls on a tortilla comal pan and toast both sides. Use a skillet or a pancake griddle if you don't have a comal pan. This will give the inside of the rolls a golden brown toast.
- Once you have the rolls toasted, spread refried beans on the bottom slices of each bread.
- Assemble each torta with these sliced ingredients: ham, queso fresco, tomato, lettuce, onion, avocado, jalapeño.
- Lastly, spread a tablespoon of Mexican Crema on the top slice of bread and top your torta sandwich.