Chicken Tomatillo Soup
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Inactive Time 10 minutes
- 1 pound tomatillos (about 7 medium sized tomatillos)
- 2 chopped jalapeños
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 medium sized yellow onion, diced fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime cut into wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove husks and rinse the tomatillos. Place the tomatillos and the poblano pepper on a sheet pan. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let it cool.
- Meanwhile, heat a pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil, onion, and garlic and sauté until tender.
- Peel as much of the skin off of the jalapeños as you can and discard along with the the seeds and stem. Dice up the jalapeños and add to the sautéed onions.
- Pour in the broth, oregano, and cumin and bring to a boil. Once boiling, immediately reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Add the shredded chicken to the pot and let simmer.
- Meanwhile, place the tomatillos in a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into the pot.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve topped with avocado and cilantro and a wedge of lime for squeezing.